Since Hawaii became the first state to protect ex-offenders in 1998, 16 states and 97 cities have followed and passed versions of “Ban the Box”. It shows evidence that ex-prisoners are given a fair chance to get a job.
- There is no proof that having a criminal record makes someone a worse employee than someone who doesn’t.
- If ex-prisoners can get a job, they could be reunited with their children and gradually rebuild their lives.
- Ex-offenders know how difficult it is to find a job, they will be extraordinarily motivated and hardworking especially for their children.
- Ultimately, hiring ex-offenders reduces recidivism.
- If they can get a fair chance to work and contribute to our society, it is beneficial to our economy and reduce governmental cost.
Why people shouldn’t discriminate ex-prisoners?
- If everyone can’t accept ex-prisoners, we will end up with a society in which people probably have no chance to turn their lives around, it causes a permanent class of unemployed ex-offenders around us.
- The conflict of unemployed ex-offenders and publics will always be a social safety concern.
- There could be conflict between discrimination and democracy.
- Eliminating discrimination is not just bette for ex-offenders, it is better for all of us.
“A Job Is Hope”, please give ex-offender a second chance. What you give is a key to open the door of their new life.
You could get a loyal, responsible and motivated employee once you give an offer.
Everyone, let’s stand up to support them!